People frequently ask me what’s the best way to search for a job or identify career opportunities they’re qualified for? My answer is to utilize every means available.
- Hire a resume posting service to post your resume
- Personally post your resume on job boards and the net
- Make your search a part of every conversation
- Find businesses in your search area and Cold Call them
- Join Networking Organizations
- Network one-on-one
I often find that people utilize only one or two methods. This indicates
- trust in the effectiveness of methods used
- limited knowledge of available methods
- comfort level with a longer search time
- discomfort utilizing some methods
My question is if you were hurting, and faced with losing your happiness, mental stability, health or residence, how would your strategy change? Remember, activity translates into results.
As we have become more reliant on digital communication one of the most successful ‘active’ search methods is being underutilized, and it is personal one-on-one networking. This approach enlists personal, professional, academic or familial contacts to help you achieve your goals.